The news that Tiktok can’t please, YouTube Shorts will officially launch this week in France and in over 100 countries around the world…
YouTube Shorts, a serious competitor to TikTok
YouTube Shorts is one of the main competitors of TikTok after Instagram’s Reels and Snapchat’s Spotlight. In September 2020, the feature began its first round of testing in India. The beta feature allowed users to view and create 15-second videos with musical overlays.
In late February 2021, Google and Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai announced that India-based Shorts Player’s videos were achieving 3.5 billion cumulative daily views. The Shorts beta was released in its entirety in the US in March 2021, surpassing 6.5 billion daily views.
A few months later, in July, the shorts were launched worldwide in over 100 countries, including France. Even though it will still be in beta, TikTok, the first most downloaded application at the moment, is still something to be concerned about.
Google had declared war on TikTok since the introduction of this new application in September 2020. The principle of the video published on YouTube Shorts is more or less the same. They are vertical, shortened (less than 60 seconds), edited and then published with a smartphone.
What features does YouTube Shorts provide?
The platform has started testing some new tools for creators and artists with our first beta in India:
- a multi-segment camera for connecting multiple video clips;
- the ability to record a large library of songs with music;
- speed control;
- A timer and countdown timer for easy, hands-free recording.
It’s also a good tool by offering many features:
- Remix: This option takes audio clips from YouTube videos. It also allows you to add text, filters or automatic subtitles to shorts, just like TikTok;
- Music: This provides access to a library that includes over a million songs from catalogs from over 250 labels and publishers.
How to make short video on youtube shorts?
- If you don’t have the YouTube app on your device yet, download it for your Android or iPhone and sign in;
- Tap the CREATE button, then tap CREATE SHORT FILM in the pop-up window;
- If you are using this option for the first time, your device will ask you for permission to allow YouTube to use the camera and microphone;
- Once approved, you are taken to the YouTube short video registration page;
- The default recording time for YouTube shorts is 15 seconds. By pressing the number “15” above the record button, you can change it to 60 seconds;
- To speed up or slow down the recording, tap on the speedometer’s speed icon on the right. You can also set the time the camera is turned on without you by pressing the timer, just below the speed. Filters allows you to apply various visual filters to your recordings. Some Android users may not have this function;
- When ready, hit the save button. Press it again to stop recording; Then press again to record the next segment in the same video;
- When you’re done recording, tap the check mark in the bottom right to preview your video and add music, text, and filters. When done, tap Next;
- Finally, add a title and adjust the sharing settings. Add the #shorts hashtag to the title to make sure it can be viewed or promoted alongside other YouTube short videos.