What is Tracking Tool? The term “tracking tool” is sometimes confused with “analytical tool” because these two types of tools are used to collect information about users. And yet, they have a different purpose…
tracking tools and . difference between analytical tools
A tracking tool (Mobile Measurement Partner – MMP in English) such as not you, to coordinate, appsflyer, coach, is mainly used for:
- Create attribution, i.e. define the origin of the new user: unpaid (organic) or paid (acquisition source X or Y);
- Measure events for each user: app openings, page views, registrations, purchases made, etc. These incidence measurements are used to measure the performance and profitability of your mobile marketing campaigns: cost per customer, cost per lead, etc.
An analytical tool used to study the user journey so that their experience can be better. This allows, for example, to measure click-through rates on buttons on certain pages or applications, to perform A/B testing on buttons of different colors. The analytical approach makes it possible to answer questions like “does my user visit such and such part of my application”? or “On average, how many times does a user visit this menu?”, etc.
Why is it necessary to integrate tracking tools into your mobile application?
Whenever you want to run a mobile acquisition campaign, it’s important to integrate the Tracking SDK into your app for two main reasons:
- Many acquisition sources are remunerated on CPI (cost per installation, i.e. cost per download of the application). They are also based on data from tracking tools to measure the downloads for which they are responsible and for which they charge;
- Tracking tools make it possible to measure users’ usage, engagement or monetization: information that makes it possible to manage the ROI of acquisition campaigns.
By what criteria should you choose your tracking tool?
- neutrality : Integrating the tracking SDK related to the company (agency or ad network) selling you traffic puts you in a position where you can only trust and rely on their data. They are both the judge and the party, so the risk is high. Choose companies specializing in tracking, neutral;
- Reliability : Tracking SDK must have high volume experience with multiple acquisition sources and multiple customers. Their data should also be reliable without bugs. So it is better to rely on reputable tools;
- Linking to multiple sources : On mobile, acquisitions are much more fragmented than on desktop. There are many other sources beyond Google search and ad exchanges: local and global advertising agencies, video agencies, social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), affiliates, promotion networks, live apps, etc. It’s essential to diversify your campaigns across multiple acquisition sources, so having a tracking tool tied to multiple sources is a must;
- the power of aggregated data : Some devices allow access to more or less data (especially device identifiers, IDs), saving them for a long time or in some other way. Thus it is possible to go a long way in data analysis and campaign performance;
- nice interface : makes it possible to access and read information efficiently and quickly;
- good technical support : In case of any query/technical problem it is important to have quick responding interlocutors.
3 tracking tools currently dominate the market and meet all these pre-listed criteria: Tune (X-mat), Adjust, AppsFlyer.
How to properly integrate your tracking tool?
Beyond the choice of tools, it’s important to integrate tracking tools correctly: properly structure your tagging plan (installations, in-app events) without forgetting to track installations and revenue… as far as tracking tools The remuneration is calculated according to the volume of reported incidents, we will focus on the events important to the management of marketing campaigns.
Lastly, it’s essential to check that the events tracked go well back into the tracking tool’s interface!
About the Author :
Claire Caligaro is the co-founder of Addict Mobile, the first mobile media platform dedicated to 100% profitability. With over 5 years of experience, Addict Mobile provides worldwide mobile campaign management technologies: Strategy Support, Visual Creation and Translation, Campaign Optimization (Pre-Targeting, A/B Testing, Post-Targeting), Real -Time reporting. Thanks to its proprietary technology, Addict Mobile makes it possible to buy centrally from more than 500 market acquisition sources and optimize ROI to deliver positive guarantees. It generates over $1 million in monthly campaigns worldwide for top profitable applications as well as international brands.
Image Source: Shutterstock