Can you imagine entering a three-dimensional online store as an avatar, where you can shop and try on clothes in real life?
Technological advancement is rapidly present in all spheres of daily life and is poised to conquer all digital channels.
The Metaverse is one of them and gives users the ability to interact with different places through a fusion of what is known as virtual reality and augmented reality.
Shopping methods are changing and today customers are looking for something different, virtual, but personal, that will make a difference.
Metaverse brings us a new way of shopping, very close to real life, but completely virtual, where customers can interact with the environment in a comprehensive way.
It is an exceptional tool to generate a great customer experience and stand out from the competition. In this article, we are going to tell you a little about it, its advantages, disadvantages and possibilities in digital marketing.
The metaverse, as we have already guessed, is a place where the real world and the virtual world meet, thanks to the use of virtual reality and augmented reality tools. In this space, of a digital nature, people can interact with others from the same metaverse or with three-dimensional objects.
In short, it is an extension of real space, but in the virtual domain.
To be more precise, users can enter the virtual world and participate in a variety of experiences through elements such as virtual or augmented reality glasses and applications for devices such as computers or smartphones.
These types of activities, such as playing, shopping, trying on clothes, working or interacting with other users in a virtual environment, can be performed using an avatar, which is a virtual representation of the user.
A famous example of the Metaverse was recently featured by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who showed off a prototype mixed reality headset as part of his Cambria project. This headset provides an enhanced mixed reality experience in the real world with virtual elements, such as taking notes, playing with a pet, or taking a gym class.
Additionally, there are a number of video game platforms that began with the concept of mixed reality and are in the process of developing their own metaverses, such as Second Life, Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox.
It is important to consider some of the fundamental characteristics that the Metaverse has or will have.
- Of digital avatar Used to enter each metaverse. These avatars represent the user and will explain what the user wants to appear or do in this metaverse.
- it’s about a immersive experienceWhich blurs the boundaries between the physical and digital worlds.
- he is collective and collaboratorBecause it is shared with other users who are logged in and active in the same metaverse and can take action there at the same time.
- It has no boundaries or distances, since you can connect to places around the world without any limits. Additionally, you can join other metaverses while having the same avatar.
- he is Regular And doesn’t disappear if you log out. You can come back and see how things are going in this metaverse, what’s new, what’s changed, etc.
- he has your economy, Based on NFT and cryptocurrencies. NFTs are unique digital assets that cannot be replaced. That is, a person can convert the digital file into NFT, which will be a digital certificate of authenticity. This would allow it to be exchanged online, for example via cryptocurrencies. This asset is widely used to exchange artwork or other works that require authenticity, and combined with cryptography, it is very useful in the metaverse.
Now that we know the basics of the Metaverse, let’s move on to what really matters to us, which is how the Metaverse affects and will impact digital marketing.
The Metaverse will fundamentally transform the buying and selling of products and services in cyberspace, providing users with a completely different and personalized digital experience similar to the real world, and giving businesses greater recognition of their brands.
While some metaverse-like concepts exist today, merging the two to provide a platform closer to the real world, based on virtual reality and augmented reality, has not yet developed.
So what are the different possibilities that Metaverse brings to digital marketing?
- would be possible to buy digital edition Products or services, such as performances or gymnastic exercises performed by an avatar.
- would be possible to buy in 3D Virtual ShopsWhich you can enter by entering a metaverse with your own avatar.
- would be possible to offer Experience Different for the customer, completely longWhere he can get the information he wants on the product or service of his interest. In addition, they will also be able to perform tasks that are not possible in a classic virtual shopping experience today, such as trying on clothes, looking at the look of the furniture in their home or looking at the menu of a restaurant with the information they provided. Watching live with looks like they should.
- unique product can be marketed as nftGiving customers a sense of location and exclusivity.
- could be a potential customer guest in a metaverse For a remote meeting, but much more personal and realistic.
- Of product display can be organized into metaverses and webinars or courses Can be delivered in real time, creating an immersive experience for the customer.
- Many other forms of digital advertising Exploitation can be done in the metaverse, as it offers many possibilities and ways to sell a product or service. It will also change the way a product is advertised. Today its aim is to reach as many people as possible by placing advertisements in different places, by sending many emails. In the Metaverse, advertising will be available to all logged in users.
- strategies of content marketing Available in the metaverse can be improved by generating new virtual content for everyone, as well as improving the situation with a good strategy influencer marketingwho will compose their campaigns as avatars.
Of course any technological advancement has many advantages, as it is about the future and what is to come, but it also has disadvantages, as it is something new, with a little experience and testing.
So below we present some of the advantages and disadvantages that we think this new technology can have not only in digital marketing, but also in all the places it can reach.
Classes will be more dynamic and educational, as students will be able to transport themselves to other places and get to know them for themselves, as well as learning concepts that are more convenient to visualize in 3D than on a sheet of paper. A computer.
The concept of the home office will change radically, as it will be possible to access offices and hold meetings in virtual spaces, where you can meet other people and interact in a virtual environment similar to a real one.
Virtual medical appointments will be far more efficient than current appointments, where patients and their symptoms can be better assessed.
This is the most well-known advantage, as they are the forerunners of the metaverse. But the ability to play with people from all over the world in a virtual reality environment is remarkable.
The buying and selling of products and services in the Metaverse can be completely personalized and realistic, and the customer experience can be better than it is with traditional online shopping. This will improve your brand reach.
Compatible with diverse technology and various digital formats.
community and cooperative
Ability to easily create connected communities at any distance.
In some ways, this can reduce pollution because more activities can be done remotely, reducing the consumption of volatile resources such as transportation.
Possibility of connection between different generations.
The high cost of technology will inevitably exacerbate socio-economic inequalities, not only for companies with fewer resources to invest in digital marketing, but also for consumers who do not have easy access to these technologies.
sense of isolation
Less physical connection between people. Possibility of spending a lot of time in the virtual world, being similar to the real world
Lack of knowledge or lack of legislation, which can make spaces unsafe for users.
The fragility of protecting personal data and privacy.
The insecurity of economic transactions through virtual means of payment such as cryptocurrencies, which makes them a good target for scams.
If the metaverse currently seems more oriented and developed towards video games, it is clear that the continued increase in the use of augmented reality and virtual reality devices will open up more and more possibilities in the virtual world. This is why many companies are going down this path to take the next step towards merging realities, which is the metaverse.
This will have a direct impact on brands that market their products digitally, as they will need to upgrade if they want to stand out and provide a completely personalized and realistic experience to the customer, where they want to make their mark. You can get all the product information you need. Wants, when he wants, without having to go to a physical store.
Generating a good customer experience is an essential differentiation strategy for any business and the use of new technologies in digital marketing will be essential.
About the Author
Luciana Sanchez Is a member of the Habitium.fr and Materialesdefabrica.com team