Gen Z is now the fastest growing demographic on LinkedIn. But she does not use this social network in the same way that B2B professionals are targeted. How to engage and retain this specific audience which is Generation Z? Let’s find out together in this new data published by LinkedIn…
Generation Z on LinkedIn
According to a study published by LinkedIn, by 2025, Gen Z workers will make up 27% of the workforce. At ages 9 to 24, it will increasingly turn to social media for target opportunities:
- professional development;
- Why business?
Additionally, with 78 million Gen Xers on LinkedIn today, the demographic already accounts for 10% of the platform’s total users. Another important piece of information: The total number of Gen Zs today is two and a half times more than at the beginning of 2020.
And like the Millennials who preceded them, Gen Z is ahead of the digital game. Generation Z is the first global generation to be digitally connected since birth. Which helps explain his affinity for social media, including LinkedIn:
- 71 percent of Gen Xers spend more than an hour a day on social media;
- 63% of people visit LinkedIn more than once a week.
LinkedIn exclusively analyzed data from Generation Z’s 78 million members on its platform to see:
- how they are attached;
- how they spend;
- Why do they buy from different companies.
What do Gen Xers think about LinkedIn?
For Generation Z, LinkedIn is a trusted platform where it’s safe to post and interact. With respect to commercial content:
- 75% say that companies and organizations post valuable content on their LinkedIn pages;
- 80% say they want to follow more companies and organizations on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn, a social network to boost your career
On LinkedIn, Generation Z is ambitious and more focused on their careers:
- 73% of Gen Zers on LinkedIn want to be successful;
- 72% of them want to be financially secure;
- 74% want to learn new skills.
Generation Z on LinkedIn has a stronger entrepreneurial spirit than the same generation on other platforms. Tech-savvy and research-oriented, he is more likely to be interested in technical subjects such as finance, investing and business.
What content is of interest to Generation Z on LinkedIn?
The types of content Gen Z may be interested in vary above all by their geographic region:
- In North America and Latin America: Generation Z is interested in employee welfare, job prospects and social causes;
- In the APAC (Asia-Pacific) region: She reads articles about workplace trends and additional learning on LinkedIn.
- In the EMEA region (Europe Middle East and Africa or Europe, Middle East and Africa countries): she is interested in articles related to COVID-19 news, career development and professional business;
In addition, these types of materials vary according to their skills, particularly for those who approach volunteering, but also by those who teach them to be:
- efficient multitasker;
- attractive presenter;
- Better Digital Marketers.
LinkedIn describes itself as a site for managing your professional identity and building and interacting with your professional network. While most members of Generation Z don’t have a lot of professional experience yet, and weren’t really attracted to this social network, you should know that most join LinkedIn after finishing high school. It is better not to underestimate this goal.